Friday, October 10, 2008

Sexual Healing - for hair?

Now, this post is going to lead you to believe that I am COMPLETELY INSANE.

But bear with me.

As I was perusing some hair product forums today, I came across one lady's "recipe" for her curly hair. She's yada yada yada-ing, using all the forums acronyms and abbreviations for products, and she mentions how one step is to apply "KY" to her hair.

In my mind, I'm thinking, KY...wonder what that's an abbreviation for? Meanwhile, the 14 year old in my head snickered a little at how it sounded like sex lube.

SO I did a little digging. And folks, THEY ARE SERIOUS.

SEX LUBE. For your hair!

I was incredulous! Who in their right mind would do this? And who is the sicko who discovered it?

As it turns out, generic KY is a cheaper alternative to a much-loved anti-frizz product used by people with all types of hair - basically anyone who tends to get frizz or not as much control as they'd like. And it is WIDELY popular.

Well, always willing to try something new, I had to check it out. I obtained some generic KY, washed my hair, and applied it before my regular hair products. Side story: I bought a new mousse a few weeks back that gives me frizz I am not fond of, so I was eager to see the difference.

As much as it pains me to admit, the stuff really worked. My frizz was significantly reduced (esp. considering it was the second time I washed my hair today!), and my hair looked glossy and shiny. There was absolutely NO feeling of lube in my hair, it felt exactly the same as it does with nothing in it (I applied it when my hair was wet). Except maybe my hair feels nicer. Definitely not sticky or anything.

So, if you have issues with frizz, whether you are curly, straight, whatever, this may be something to try. I personally used the "jelly" version, which is lighter and more water based - but of course there are the more serum-like types that may work for you. Generic is good because it is cheap. And for the science nerds out there - the reason this works is because it is high in glycerin, which is a humectant, and draws moisture from the air into your hair. Gooooooooo science!

Sex lube for hair - who would have guessed?

Venture forth, brave souls!

No comments: