Monday, April 7, 2008

Clinique Black Honey Deeps Collection

Not wanting to miss an amazing opportunity, I took Sephora up on their offer to buy this set last week when it was marked down to $25. It came in the mail today, and let me just say that there is not one thing in this case I am disappointed with. This includes the bag, which, if we're being honest, is not usually the case with Clinique. Typically, the bag is cheap, ugly, or completely unusable for anything. Not so today!

Here's what the set offers:
  1. Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey - I have heard it rumored that this is the shade that looks good on everyone. I have to be honest - I think they're right. In the tube, it is SCARY, almost black looking, and you think, oh, no way. This is going to make me look Goth. Wrong-o. It is a beautiful berry that makes a great color on pale skin without the "I just drank someone's blood, let's go sleep in a coffin" look. Always a great choice, and Clinique offers it for $14 alone, which is not bad for a lipstick you can wear to anything from a day shopping to a night out. (*Note: while a good color/product to use as a stain, the Glosswear in Black Honey is slightly less user friendly. If applied wrong, you DO look like a vampire. Just go easy with it.)
  2. Clinique Color Surge Eye Shadow Trio - This is an exclusive to the set. The colors exist in Clinique's current line, but not in this combination. They include the darker shade of the rose chocolate duo, which is much like if you mixed a soft brown with mauve. 2nd is one of my all time Clinique favorites, Lucky Penny, a shimmery rose color, with just the slightest coppery feel to it. It's amazing alone or with just about any other color. Finally, the highlighter shade is Confetti, a pale pink that goes on with a light shimmer. Together, they are GORGEOUS, I don't know why Clinique doesn't sell this set all the time. Estimated value: $21.50
  3. Clinique High Impact Mascara in Black Honey - Again, I believe this is only available in this set. It's Clinique's great mascara, done in a dark cherry. Beautiful for any color eyes, it's a subtle cherry that covers and darkens like a black. I doubt anyone would notice the color except in direct sunlight. Mostly it just brightens your peepers so people think, "wow!" $14 for full tube, so probably worth half of that.
  4. Clinique Kohl Shaper for Eyes in Black Honey - So the trend here is: this stuff is ONLY available in the kit! Which is too bad, because it is awesome! This is a great eye pencil, smooth and creamy, no splinters in your eyelid. It includes its own sharpener in the cap. I think I've said enough about the Black Honey, you get the idea. These in other colors are $15.50.
  5. Clinique Full Potential Lip Gloss in Blackberry Bloom - This is, by far, my most favorite part of the set. And the best part??? You can actually BUY it! It's not exclusive! It is a "plumper," although not in the burn your lips off way. It's very nice feeling, a good thick gloss. The color (although it looks like the darkest of the ones available) is a pretty, sweet berry, that is so subtle it looks like you're just blessed with good coloring and wearing clear gloss. I LOVE THIS. If you buy nothing else, I recommend this gloss. $17.50.

So that was the set, including the bag, which is a dark purple faux croc square bag, zippered along one side (much like a small lunch box). It's very roomy inside and for once, I think I'll use it. With the deal I got, a code also scored you a free travel size Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover. Score!

Now, I don't know if you've been doing the math, but this is almost $60 worth of makeup ALONE. Not including the (useful) bag and the free sample of makeup remover. I paid $32 including shipping. That's good math, peeps. We like math like that.

So, if your happy fingers make it to Sephora and they have restocked, or over to ebay and someone besides the crazy person selling it for $78 is offering it, I highly recommend. Otherwise, seriously, look into those two lip colors. You won't be sorry.

*EDIT: I promise that when I get my eyebrows waxed, I will take a picture of me wearing the whole set, complete with pictures of EACH lip color. But for now, I am living underneath a deep, dense forest that I lovingly call "Eyebrow Left" and Eyebrow Right." And kids - this is the stuff nightmares are made of...

No comments: